Thursday, March 15, 2007

Something Nice: Melinda Doolittle

So, I caught a little bit of flack for my last post. Some said I was too hard on the kid that commented on my blog. They said I need to be nice. OK, I can buy that. So, I'll talk about something nice. Something that makes me feel good. Something that cheers me up when I'm not feeling so good. Melinda Doolittle.

I'm not sure how many of you out there watch American Idol, but I do, and I do it for a few reasons. The first is, that it's the most watched television show in the world. I think it says something for everybody in the world to be into something, and I simply don't want to miss out. Doubters have been wrong about this show. They said it wouldn't last, that it couldn't make stars, etc...they were wrong. It gets bigger and better every year. Secondly, I used to be a performer. Not the American Idol type, but I did perform, so a lot of what I see on the show is relevant to my experience and I feel like I can offer a decent perspective on it. Third, it's fun. It takes my mind off work and allows me to space out for an hour or two. I don't get into the whole voting and everything, although in the past there have been contestants that have brought me such joy with their singing that I considered it, but nobody ever pushed me to that point where I actually voted. Some of my favorites have been Taylor Hicks, Chris Daughtry, Latoya London, and Bo Bice. But man...this year, something real special showed up. Melinda Doolittle.

I ain't kidding...this girl is not only the best singer I have ever heard on this show, she is among the top 25 voices I have ever heard, and I have heard a few. To be quite honest, I think the Producers at American Idol need to do two things to save this shwow this year. They should go ahead and send that little Indian boy home because he doesn't even seem to want to be on the show anymore and he keeps getting sacraficed, and they need to pull Melinda from the competition and put her to work. The competition really isn't fair. She is so much better than everybody else, that it's scary. Not surprising though, she has a trained voice and has worked professionally. It makes a difference. This is not somebody who sings along with the radio everyday headed to work...this is somebody who has actually worked at the craft of singing and gotten quite good at it. QUITE good. Hearing her sing brings me joy. Since making it to the Finals, she has sang Since Youve Been Gone, My Funny Valentine, I'm A Woman, and Home, and she ripped them all. Every last one. She's no joke. So, to brighten your day, I give you Melinda Doolittle.

And the crowd goes wild...

No comments: